Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I Love Kitchens

The warmth of Brass, laquered, unlaquered, burnished, antiqued
Image via K Sarah Designs
I LOVE everything about the kitchen.  It is visual, tactile, sensory in every way.  Organize it, use it, destroy it then clean it up again - it's ALL good.  Design and decorate a fresh new space and you're right in my heaven.  I had the pleasure of trekking up north to visit a friend and field some kitchen design questions last night.  This woman is on top of it, let me tell you.  When she told me she had inventoried her whole kitchen before selecting what she needed for drawers, cabinets, etc. in  her new design I nearly leaped over the table and kissed her!  Smart, smart, smart.  SMART!  She and her husband will be so pleased with the outcome of the new space, they have done a phenomenal job.  

So, what the heck was I doing there?  Well, finishes and color selection of course.  We threw around some ideas on paint color; hardware style and finish; back splash details like layout; grout lines and grout color.  Being a sounding board (with an arsenal of ideas and visual examples) as well as someone to help moderate all tricky decisions is part of the job I love.  

True, at one point I did declare that the hardware selection is possibly the most important selection made in the kitchen's design.  After all it is the glitz, glam, jewelry accessory that defines what direction and vibe the space will take on.  Perhaps a bit outlandish, I do believe it's the details in a space that really make it shine (and in this case wine and dine too...)  

Image via House of Turquoise Blog

Subtle dark accents - great shape!
Image via Pinterest, atticmag.com

White on white - interesting country vibe
Image via Pinterest

Can I get some brass, PLEASE!
Image via Pinterest - David Christensen Photography

Edgy, angular and elegant
Image via HGTV.com, TerraCotta Properties

No comments:

Post a Comment